Friday, November 09, 2007

Something Else

Those Annoying Faxes

You are extremely lucky if you haven't received one yet. I got at least one marketing fax everyday and sometimes several a day. I used to think only companies using commercial lines would suffer, but this is apparently not the case. My brother used to receive plenty so he eventually threw away his fax machine. Now he still gets the long 'beep' calls just as frenquently.

Taking his lesson, when I applied for my residential line, I didn't tell PCCW that this would be a fax line. I also specifically asked that the telephone number assigned not to be a recycled commercial number. They got me a new number but guess what, the damn fax still arrives at my door everyday.

I eventually got really pissed off and started my 'call-back' campaign, i.e. calling back each company and asking them to stop sending faxes to me , in a gentle manner of course.

This campaign started two months ago and here's the preliminary findings.

(1) I'm still receiving offers to have my computer/printer fixed.
(2) 99% of the telephone operators are female.
(3) 0% of them would identify the name of the company when answering the phone. I heard only 'wei' or 'hello' 100% of the time.
(4) Sometimes I heard multiple phone ringing in the background which suggested I might be talking to a 'call centre'.
(5) I suspect sometimes I talk to the same operator twice on the same day. And I suspect she might recognize me too.

I also have the burning desire to know why the faxes are all about fixing computer/printer but not refridgerators, microwave, or DVD players? If there's enough variety then I might eventually find one useful.

The campaign shall continue and I'll post another update again.

One Life, One Love, One Gift

You are happy your friend has finally found the 'one' and settled down. You happily pay your due to attend the banquet, wishing them happy for the rest of their lives. Yet afterward you find yourself stuck with their token gift for the rest of your life too, which you have least expected.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about those little gifts you receive that hold tremendous value to your hosts but little value to anyone else. Take for example a couple of cute ceremic bride and groom with names and the wedding date etched on it. Some were even made to look like the couple themselves! How am I gonna do with it afterward? Do I need to display it in home so that I won't forget to call during anniversary, or so I can remember this happy day too for the rest of my life? Gosh my long term memory will be really running short if I have to remember so many happy days, and in some of those days I might just be drunk and had no memory.

Other times it's a cute car, a cute box, or cute anything, but the common theme is there's no real use. And I can't even re-gift it because it's got names on it. So in the end I had to secretly discard it. It's a waste of money and natural resources, not to mention those gifts may contain excess lead in paint which can be harmful to small children!

If any of you is planning a banquet please seriously DROP the idea of token gift, or simply give out chocolate instead. You guests will appreciate it immensely.

DISCLOSURE: I'm married and have nothing against marriage, just the gifts.

Comments:
You are supposed to keep those gifts in a box in the cabinet, and whenever a friend will come to visit you, you find his give-away, and put it on display. After they're gone again, you put the item back into the cabinet. :-)

Regarding stocks:
Have you given it any though how bad HSBC might be affected by the sub-prime troubles? After all, they bought Household Intl, which was catering to less credit-worthy people.

An article like this shows they are involved:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/09/business/09hsbc.html?ref=business

750 jobs in just 1 subprime division makes me feel that they were selling loads of these mortgages.
 
Haha, the 2nd paragraph is very interesting. I have got some key rings that become rusty so easily. The quality of these souvenirs are so bad.
 
it's in bad times that you trust in management is under test. i think HSBC is honest enough as it's the 1st to blow the whistle, when others like Citibank was saying the party was far from over. so RELATIVELY speaking HSBC should fare better than its counterparts (as it should've done much more to mitigate the problem), and its share price has shown a much lesser decline than the rest.

so unless you want out of the banking sector (chinese banks excluded), HSBC is a safe bet.
 
I did give away gift in my wedding...
I have already tried hard to find something with face value and non-displayable....hope it didn't bother you too much...
 
ben hing,

your gift was one of the best, easy to carry but hard to actually use it?
 
ben hing,

your gift was one of the best, easy to carry but hard to actually use it?
 
I agree so much with you regarding those gifts. A friend of mine once got a necklace with the word 囍 engraved on it. Who would wear that thing round his neck...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]